The law protects the relationship between a client and a psychotherapist, and information cannot be disclosed without written permission.
- Suspected child abuse or dependent adult or elder abuse, for which I am required by law to report this to the appropriate authorities immediately.
- If a client is threatening serious bodily harm to another person/s, I must notify the police and inform the intended victim.
- If a client intends to harm himself or herself, I will make every effort to enlist their cooperation in insuring their safety. If they do not cooperate, I will take further measures without their permission that are provided to me by law and report the intent to do harm to self or others and the appropriate health and human services will be informed with or without your consent. I have a duty to warn and to keep you safe as well as the public.
- If you want others to be informed of your therapeutic progress you must sign a release of information.
- This is your record and you may review it with me in my office to make sure I have the correct information for you.